Saturday, March 10, 2007

I still miss your thoughts on rain...

People! It's raining! This is so wonderful I cannot even begin to tell you. I love rain to the depth of my soul. I spent all afternoon at work, and it was very hum drum and dull and when I found it was raining, I was so excited, I started hurrying so I could be sure to get off on time before the rain went away. Then I went through a walk before I left work.

There's a Red Lobster right in front of the Best Buy where I work and I'm pretty sure I made some dining patrons think I'm crazy, jumping in puddles and splashing water all over. I love rain, the smell, the feel of it, it's the best, and a half. The best and a half.

Anyways, I wrote a bit on Philippians 2:19-30 in my journal today...it's sort of different, the way I wrote it...these verses might seem like an odd choice, but bear with me and hopefully it will make sense!

"19I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon, so that I too may be cheered by news of you. 20For I have no one like him, who will be genuinely concerned for your welfare. 21They all seek their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ. 22But you know Timothy's proven worth, how as a son with a father he has served with me in the gospel. 23I hope therefore to send him just as soon as I see how it will go with me, 24and I trust in the Lord that shortly I myself will come also.

25I have thought it necessary to send to you Epaphroditus my brother and fellow worker and fellow soldier, and your messenger and minister to my need, 26for he has been longing for you all and has been distressed because you heard that he was ill. 27Indeed he was ill, near to death. But God had mercy on him, and not only on him but on me also, lest I should have sorrow upon sorrow. 28I am the more eager to send him, therefore, that you may rejoice at seeing him again, and that I may be less anxious. 29So receive him in the Lord with all joy, and honor such men, 30for he nearly died for the work of Christ, risking his life to complete what was lacking in your service to me."

-Philippians 2:19-30

This passage has little direct teaching, but I feel like there is still a lot we can learn from it...I went through verse by verse and pulled these thoughts out...

Verse 20--"For I have no one like him, who will be genuinely concerned for your welfare." We need leaders who are concerned with our welfare. As a leader, I should be concerned for the well-being of those around me.

V. 21--"They all seek their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ."Seek the interests of Jesus. Be after his kingdom, his glory, and his will, not yours. "It's so not about you."

V. 22--"But you know Timothy's proven worth, how as a son with a father he has served with me in the gospel." Be worthy, prove your worth. Act and carry yourself as you ought to, as a redeemed Christian man [or woman...] with equal measures joy and reverence.

V. 23--"I hope therefore to send him just as soon as I see how it will go with me," Trust your leadership and the direction they provide. Be willing to go where they would have you go, serving as they would have you serve. God put them over you for a reason!

V. 24--"and I trust in the Lord that shortly I myself will come also." Trust in God's timing, and be ready to do as you are commanded. Do not try to do anything by your own power and your own plan. Wait on God!

I jumped back a bit here...

V. 19--"I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon, so that I too may be cheered by news of you." As a leader, seek God's will in guiding those you are leading. Again, not your will, not Bryce's desire, but God's!

V. 27--"Indeed he was ill, near to death. But God had mercy on him, and not only on him but on me also, lest I should have sorrow upon sorrow." God is with us at all times and will continually show mercy to us by working in our lives and fulfilling our needs. Mercy starts and the cross and it doesn't end for the rest of eternity...

V. 29--"So receive him in the Lord with all joy, and honor such men" See your pastors and various leaders in your life as something to be joyful over. Rejoice at the opportunity to learn from godly men and honor them. Do not fail to treat them respectfully and be eager in anticipating the wisdom God has given them.

And one more...okay, two more...

"...for he nearly died for the work of Christ, risking his life to complete what was lacking in your service to me."

V. 30(1)-- Lay down your life for the gospel. It's not about you, it's about God, and what he asks of you. Be willing to forsake comfort, position, wealth, and even your physical body if it advances His kingdom and magnifies His holiness.

V. 30(2)--Do not be lacking in your service. Be worthy, and show that you are a Christian, shining like stars in the universe. Preach Christ in your life, by your words, deeds and example. You are Jesus to the world, to quote the song. People will learn about Jesus through you. Live up to this awesome demand. Pray continually for strength to be able to work out your salvation with fear and trembling. Be in awe of God and His glory, and let that dictate your outward lifestyle. And let that lifestyle be a lifestyle of love, for God, for His Church, and for the unsaved world who know the beauty of neither one.


That's all I got...hope it serves in some context. Let me know what y'all think...this was certainly unconventional, so if I could hear some opinions, I'll be so happy, I'll buy you a lemon cupcake.

Or a llama!! Yes, I'll buy you a llama!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that was a splendid exegetical approach to those verses. It reminded me of what I read this morning in Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life. He stated that every word is inspired and, therefore, is useful.

Leuke said...

I'm glad you liked it! I was a bit worried it would be confusing...

Anyways, um, I owe you a cupcake or something. I think I was getting carried away with the llamas, though. Sorry...