Thursday, March 1, 2007

Time don't wait for no one...

I really like the new Family Force 5 song "Never Let Me Go". I think they're my fifth favorite band, not Falling Up. And Relient K is fourth, not Lifehouse.

Because I'm sure you've all got a scorecard somewhere where you keep track.

Funny, the topic of Never Let Me Go and my post coincide quite well...

I've got a poem I wrote in class today. It actually came out as a story, but I found that it made more sense as a poem. I didn't even have to change anything except to break it up into stanzas instead of paragraphs. Weird.

Not half as weird as the poem itself, though.

"Embrace"

They had nothing to say to each other.
In the depth of the grave there are few words between lovers,
all conversation long past,
given over to freshly churned dirt,
the enclosure of polished wooden coffins.
Polished wood for a young pair
buried under one tombstone in two coffins.

The coffins, perhaps, are the worst.
There can be no embracing now, six feet from the sun.
There can be no worms and flies,
no rotting suits,
no withered flowers,
but too there can no embrace.

There can be no selflessness,
there can be no joy,
no submission of needs and wants,
nor summer days filled with anticipation
with preparation,
nor toil backbreaking that brings a smile to the face.
No toil can be done in earnest,
to feed the mouths of hungry children,
children that were never born.

There can be hell.
Its burning fingers of flame can pull through the dirt,
sifting it, sorting it.
There can be an embrace of flame,
for two lovers separated by coffins and dirt.
Flame for two that cannot embrace.

There could be hell were it not for the song heaven,
a liquid water that rushes through the earthly,
a melting of ice that leaves life in its path,
life and a heat that never burns.
There can be heaven, for there can be hope.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you reposted the poem, I really like it. You should put in on your fictionpress if you haven't done so already. I think I'm gonna start putting some of my stuff on fictionpress finally. But back to the poem, I really like the imagery used in the last two stanzas. God has given you a gift for sure!