Wednesday, March 14, 2007

This morning, we don't mourn like those who have no hope.






My dear old dog Teddi Bear Ying Molly Hegenderfer died yesterday. She had to be put to sleep after a few hard months of failing health. She'd been losing weight, losing energy, she even lost the ability to walk eventually.

I don't know, I guess we all knew it was coming. I never expected it to happen yesterday, though. I came home from school to the news she was gone. I remember that morning, I was getting ready for school, and walked passed her, and she started wagging her tail. I thought it was really strange, because Teddi stopped wagging her tail a long time ago. Now it almost seems like she was saying goodbye...

We got Teddi when I was seven years old. My mom, sister and I stopped at a pet store at the mall in Ohio with no plans for a new pet, just to look around. Another dog, Sam, had just died a month or two previously, not that I was too upset. We never got along...I always felt like she had it in for me...

My mom noticed one puppy in particular, a two month old shar-pei, was totally focused on me, watching my every move, so we decided to play with her for a bit, and then when all three of us fell in love, we took her home for a weekend trial.

My dad was not so enthusiastic.

Nor was mom after a night of wailing, as the then unnamed dog cried and pooed in the cardboard box we kept her in at first. However, it took no time at all for all four of us to be fairly attached to the puppy, so of course we wound up keeping her.

And thus attempts to name her began. Each and every one of my suggestions was thrown out the window immediately, but I recall my sister being rather adamant that we name her Molly for some reason. I didn't particularly care at the time. I just wanted to know what her name was so I would know what to call her.

My mom threw out the suggestion Teddy Bear, since Teddi bore a resemblance to one, and when it was pointed out that our dog was a female, we changed it to Teddi Bear. Ying, her middle name, came later because when we first got her, she loved to follow me around, and be my shadow. My mom thought up this one, too, knowing that Ying is the chinese word for shadow, only appropriate for a Chinese dog. Molly wound up getting slung at the end of this because my sister thought it a better middle name than Ying.

Yes, we give our dogs middle names. :p

And so, for the next fourteen years, Teddi was there wherever we went, through moving here and there. She and I had all sorts of little adventures together. When we lived up in the mountains and had sixty acres of land and some horses, the two of would run all over the place exploring.

And I remember dressing her up with my sister(mostly her idea) and the way she'd go crazy every time she thought she was about to get a banana, and when we smuggled her into a hotel wrapped in blankets, and when she was so fixated on my dad that she walked into a wall...

She had a ton of nicknames. Puff and Twinkie were two I used quite often...Puff because of the way she'd be breathing when we came from a long walk together, Twinkie because, er, she looked like a twinkie from behind, when she's laying down. I swear...

We didn't spend much as time together over the last couple years, but I'm still going to miss her! It's so weird, we only have one dog now. I keep thinking when I feed Isabella or let her outside, I need to take care of Teddi, too. I'm going to miss the little mutt, er purebred.

Goodbye, Twinkie!






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Putting a dog down, definitely one you've had for such a long time, is never easy.

Anonymous said...

Awww...she was totally cute and I didn't even get to meet her when I went to your house.

Our dogs have never been given middle names. That's very...interesting.

Anonymous said...

That is really sad. I'm glad your doing fine with it. About 4-5 years ago we had a dog that died from a heart attack from the fireworks on the fourth of July. She was the cutest dog and was my favorite. Also we had a golden retriever that had cancer at the time, who we had put to sleep a few weeks later. But my point is that when she died I cried for ever, and kept having dreams that she was alive again. Well, I hope I didn't make you sad with my story, but that is what it reminded me of. *sniff*

Leuke said...

Thanks for the thoughts y'all...:)

Teddi was a good dog, very loyal and protective, but if she had one flaw, Sam, it was probably outgoingness. When she was younger, she was very aggressive and would sometimes try to bite people, so we had to keep her pinned when we had people over.

And then as she got older she mellowed out and just started ignoring everyone.

Anonymous said...

Chya, Ashton--I've dealt with multiple dogs dying.
First was a dog we'd had since I was 2, and we put him down when I was 15. :( That was so hard. He was seriously the best dog ever, ever, ever.
And then was Bonnie. We had her about 8 years and she slept with me every night, often stealing my pillow. Once I even woke to find her (and her 40 lbs) sleeping on my back! We put her down shortly after I bought the two dogs we have now.
It's rough.

And why on earth do people call you Porter?

sharpei said...

I'm so sorry to ready your blog about the decision you had to make. I have 5 shar-pei and have had many more. Of course, in losing each one of them, it was very difficult. What has helped me with them is to put a favorite picture of them in a frame, place it in a prominent place and each time you look at it think of all of the wonderful times you had with your companion. You've done something like that by posting some really cute pictures in your blog. It does take time to get over this type of loss and there will always be a special place in your heart for her.

This also may help. It's called "The Rainbow Bridge." I have it in a large frame and read it often to helps with loss. I hope it helps you and your family too.

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Lois - Rainbow City Alabama