Monday, February 26, 2007

Jump start my heart and wake the sleeper inside

Tiny bit pressed for time today, so I'm going jump ahead a bit in Philippians, and then jump back, just like old school hopscotch. There's some really interesting stuff in here that I'd like to dig into, including a few terms I don't really understand, but I'm just going to write about my new "focus verse". I decided I want to change it more than once a week, but less than once a day, so any sort of basic time-moniker is clearly out of the question. Thus the term "focus verse" which is what I shall call that particular segment of my blog until I think of something better.

But I digress.

"Do all things without grumbling or questioning, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world,"

-Philippians 2:14-15


Ouch.

That was my first reaction when I read verse 14. Ouch, ouch, ouch. Do I do anything without grumbling and questioning? I had to think about it for a minute. In the outside world I might, but at home, I am like an olympic grumbler. I complain every chance I get when I'm "busy" with homework and don't want to be disturbed. And questioning? I question my parents all the time. Actually, I probably question everyone who asks things of me. I question my friends, my coworkers, and worse, far worse, I question God. I have a very curious nature...I always have to know. I like to pry things apart and overanalyze every chance I get.

But how dare I question God? He is working all things to my good, so to doubt him is nothing but sin. I think it's okay to ask for clarification...and to pray about why things are happening, but at the same time, there is a sinful side to questioning, the grumbling and complaining side, the "I-don't-want-to-do-this-or-deal-with-it" side.

The thing is, we don't always need to know. The reason why has no bearing on how we ought to carry ourselves and act.

Also, I think there is nothing that you can do to provoke the unsaved more. At work and school, the amount of grumbling and complaining I hear is ridiculous, and yet it is so natural that everyone does it. But we can show people a different way, by putting off grumbling and questioning. We can shine as lights in the midst of a crooked and twisted world.

Children of God without blemish!! There is grace for this!

There's so much more I could say...just off these two verses...but my family's waiting on me. Let me know what y'all think. That was all a bit rushed...maybe I can come back in and flesh things out if necessary...

Later llamatatoes.

No comments: