Thursday, February 8, 2007

The Wisdom of Love

Okay, so in Bible study today, we talked about Philippians 1:1-11, and I have some thoughts...

"I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart; for whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God's grace with me. God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus.

And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God."

~Philippians 1:3-11

I was all over the place today. I started with Matthew 10, read half of it, then jumped to Philippians 1 and reread it, and then jumped back a couple hundred years to Proverbs and read Proverbs 8. Recently I started reading the Proverb corresponding to the day occasionally when I'm not sure where to go, so since today is the eighth, I read Proverbs 8. There's so much wisdom in the Proverbs, it really helps to straighten out my thinking. Straighten. Align? Something like that...

Anyways, I was asking God to help me understand the passage I posted above, and the thought occured to me that this passage is a portrait of how a pastor should think. More than giving us direction or specific teaching on how we should act, it seems more like this is a model for how we should view and care for those around us. We should, I think, be praying that our brothers and sisters love may "abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight." In some ways, it's not just our duty to be looking out for ourselves in terms of sanctification, but others as well. Obviously, we can't be watching for our friends to fail so we know what to pray for, but I think this passage suggests that we should seek sanctification for others as well as ourselves. I think that's an example Paul is laying down here.

I can't think of much more to say on that area than that, right now.

There is also a need for wisdom voiced here. We need studied worship and worshipful study, both flowing out of each other, like I said last week...and Dave said something to that effect today...The more we know about God, the wiser we will be, and the more we love God. Therefore as we grow in wisdom, we will grow in love. The greatest commandments are to love our neighbors as ourselves and love God with all our heart, so what greater wisdom can there be than to love with all our hearts?

So in closing, here's a bit from Proverbs 8. Starting with Scripture, closing with it. I like that. Better God's Word be highlighted than mine!

Does not wisdom call?
Does not understanding raise her voice?
On the heights beside the way,
at the crossroads she takes her stand;
beside the gates in front of the town,
at the entrance of the portals she cries aloud:
"To you, O men, I call,
and my cry is to the children of man.
O simple ones, learn prudence;
O fools, learn sense.
Hear, for I will speak noble things,
and from my lips will come what is right,
for my mouth will utter truth;
wickedness is an abomination to my lips.
All the words of my mouth are righteous;
there is nothing twisted or crooked in them.
They are all straight to him who understands,
and right to those who find knowledge.
Take my instruction instead of silver,
and knowledge rather than choice gold,
for wisdom is better than jewels,

and all that you may desire cannot compare with her.


(2/8/2007

No comments: