Saturday, August 28, 2010

That Hideous Slumber (Poem Version)

I enjoyed writing a poem about The Red Elevators, so I wrote one based on my current story.

"That Hideous Slumber"

With effortless motions,
you put a poem in my heart,
you know I'd do anything for you,
and when they twist your shape,
all out of recognition,
my love never changes faces,
I'd do anything for you.

Whether a bluebird,
so tiny and vulnerable
or a great tree with summer leaves,
in the midst of Autumn's grasp
I know it's you when it's you,
I'd journey around the world,
beggar in the courts of queens,
stare down wolves the size of oxen,
dive into the furthest depths of the sea,
I'd do anything for you.

There's a whole wide world waiting for us,
Silver cities that shimmer in the sun,
golden armies and rabbit kings,
Emperors and thieves,
vagabonds and princes,
all will quail before us one day,
when they understand they face something
beyond flesh and blood,
I'd do anything for you.

That hideous slumber can claim me,
the world can rip us apart,
with all their myriad trappings and curses,
but I'm not afraid to dream,
nor will I shrink from the nightmarish,
this descent into darkest sleep
I'd do anything for you.

No comments: