Monday, August 23, 2010

The Red Elevators (Poem Version)

While I'm still deeply wrapped up in That Hideous Slumber, I've been getting ideas for what might be my next story, called the Red Elevators. I wrote this poem as a teaser of sorts.

"The Red Elevators"

The streets are heavy with snow,
I walk with shoulders hunched,
This ragged sweater,
unraveling at the hems,
is my only protection.

I have been summoned,
to the place no one comes back from,
to the place everyone fears.

There's a building waiting for me,
with red elevators that climb into the sky,
red elevators will carry me away,
and I'll never be seen again.

Walk inside an empty atrium,
footsteps echoing all the way,
I push the button and wait,
enter on the ding,
and then I step inside.

I grip the railing with white knuckles,
push another button and then,
we're off, we're away.
but I swear I'm not afraid.
I just don't know how to make my hands stop shaking.
This red elevator is carrying me away,
but I swear I'm not afraid.

No comments: