Tuesday, January 18, 2011

New poem

New poem. Kind of long too. Not sure how I feel about this one... I haven't taken as immediate a liking to it as I did my last. Still... it seems decent enough to post, even though the tone is a little sad at parts. It's based on some things I have been going through lately. It was also kind of inspired by the song "Stitches" by Switchfoot that I have been addicted to lately, though they aren't really all that similar except in name. As always, please post your thoughts.

"The Stitch"

Patterns run my days,
hem in all my nights,
My empty bed haunts mocks and torments,
I climb within alone,
and wake up the same same same.
Though my head is full of ever shifting stories,
there is one that never ever changes.

I've watched my dreams fizzle out,
like a falling star's earthbound shot,
like candles on a birthday cake,
all spent and cold.

Ships colliding in the night,
stars that don't fall,
permanent stars are dancing on the waves,
watching while the wrecks slip into the water
The breaking is so loud from here,
but deep, deep in the water,
all is hushed blackness.

Words more and more beautiful,
dance around my head,
spinning like lost comets 'round the sun,
and I've found a tiny spark that never dies,
dwelling somewhere deep within my heart,
though it may all seem so sad,
I have the words,
golden truth and pure story.

And while the nightmares are eating me,
and sleep is no comfort,
I'll change the pattern to something new,
I'll stitch myself a new dream,
A new horizon to reach towards.
The needle in my hand,
to pierce my heart,
all by Your endlessly beautiful design.

No comments: