Friday, January 7, 2011

New Poem

It could be the mild delirium talking but I think this poem is pretty good. Let me know what you think. I hope it means that I'm getting better if I can write, although this is certainly a bit different from my usual writing...

"Fever Dreams"

I've been keeping my heart in the clouds,
I've been storing up all these thoughts of love,
for just such a rainy day
when I lost my head to the fever dreams,
when I lost my limbs to the weakness.

Now I can't tell up from down,
left or right, waking or sleeping?
Does it matter in the end?
We kissed once in a fever dream,
in the throes of delirium you found me,
But when I opened my eyes,
you vanished like mist

I lost my mind out here,
in the hot and the cold,
the fire and the frost,
Sweat and shiver,
this fever's holding me tighter,
than your arms wrapped around me,
but I swear I saw it in a dream,
we'll be leaving this decay behind,
this sick bed, this unresting place.

There will be a day,
when dreams dry up like river beds,
useless in reality of love,
fevered thoughts will melt in hot summery air,
I'll hold you and I'll smile and know,
this is no dream.

No comments: