Monday, July 9, 2007

I was a middle son, between two wayward ones...

Hi llamas.

Okay, so the weekend. Yesterday's post may have been a mild exaggeration.

We went roller skating. It was enjoyable. Saturday we had softball practice, which I was late to because of my caregroup's men's meeting. Then we had the singles picnic, where we had...Chipolte. Tasty, but not exactly picnicy food. The picnic itself was sort of not interesting. I almost fell asleep.

But then!! We went on a hike. The area we went up to was really beautiful. It was in the foothills, so we were able to see the Denver area spread out beneath us at the bottom of the hill. And the area itself, grass waving in the wind, the trees, the rolling hills, it was all really beautiful. I saw a little farm on the way back and I was really jealous, because that would be the perfect place to live...if one wanted to live in Colorado. ...which I don't, really. Too dry.

I took a lot of pictures, but I doubt any of them turned out well, because I didn't have the time to really get good shots, keeping up with a group as I was. Maybe a couple turned out. I'll post a few if I like them...

We then, after the hike, returned to Westminster to watch Transformers. It was not as good as I hoped it would be. I kept waiting for it to get really, really good and it never did. It got good, maybe even really good, but not really really good. The CG was all but flawless, and certain parts of the movie were really funny, but there was also a lot of unnecessary crude humor and the token girl character served no purpose in the plot. The whole "love" story between her and Sam, our ADD prone hero, was totally shallow and pointless.

And worse, I think the kids in my preschool class could have fit comfortably into some of her outfits. Do teenagers really dress like that for school?

But that being said, Shia LeBeouf did an excellent acting job and the movie was still a lot of fun...I'd say 2 and a half stars out of four, if I were in a ratings kind of mood. It made me want to watch the old cartoon...which is really half the point to all these summer blockbusters. Driving DVD sales!

Speaking of summer blockbusters, I'm so burned out on all the big, overproduced movies being churned out lately. This is pretty new for me...I'm usually a big defender of summer movies...but I'm getting tired of the focus on good graphics over good writing and acting. There wasn't a single memorable line in The Transformers, at least, I can't think of anything. At least there's still the new Bourne movie to come, perhaps that'll redeem things...

Also, there were two previews that looked interesting. "Hot Rod" which I at first thought might be Napoleon Dynamite III (it's not), since Jared Hess is working on a new movie. And then the curious, untitled, "1-08-08". Which showed a bunch of fireballs falling from the sky and was shown completely from the perspective of a camcorder.

And that's Saturday. Sunday morning was consumed by children's ministry. My fourth week in a row, since I filled in for Jordan. And what a crazy morning it was. The kids have gotten so used to seeing me that they all wanted to play and they all really liked me. First a few of them tried to put tons of different hats on me...a cow hat...a strawberry shortcake hat, a knight's helmet that didn't fit because of my giant nose, and several others. I had a nice faux-hawk going in the morning, and even got complemented for it, and they totally ruined it! So I wound up going most of the morning with very silly looking hair...

Ha, it was a lot of fun though. The kids had to learn the hard way that I can only carry so many of them at once. A half dozen of them tried to climb all over me, and I don't think I went more than five minutes the whole morning without one kid or five trying to get a piggyback ride or just climbing on me for the heck of it.

Then we had our party at Chad Lake. I got Sonic beforehand, and the tater tots were so good, the best I've ever gotten there...but the chile coney thing I got was gross. I have to get something better like popcorn chicken next time.

We didn't even go to the lake, but Nate and Jared and I found and climbed upon the greatest climbing tree on the planet. Then we all went back to the house and everyone scattered to either play a video game called Burnout or a board game called Blokus. Then it rained, and a few people wanted to jump on the Fopma trampoline. But I got bored with this pretty fast and wanted to go out to the stream behind the Fopmas house.

This we did, and I and a few others got very wet. This also was fun...then after changing into dry clothes we played a Cranium game called Hooplah, and I need to get off so I will forgo details...

I think I'm going to preorder the new As Cities Burn CD very soon...if I do, I can get this
offer. The only reason not to would be in lieu of a better offer, but I doubt there will be one, seeing as they are not a huge band, popular as they are.

Anyways, I must go. Later, young obese ladybugs of condemnation.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

preording things is the way to go...

Those poor ladybugs.

Leuke said...

Indeed, at least for a CD I know is going to be worth it...

Ha, the ladybugs. I like how we switched sides towards the end of the argument...before it got totally confusing...

Anonymous said...

Hm, I hadn't even noticed! I guess we did switch sides...that either means we are good debaters or bad, I think. [ponders]

Leuke said...

I think a little of both.

Anonymous said...

Y'all are both nutters. That's what.