Thursday, July 5, 2007

The costliest of costs, the deadliest of loss, the wonder of the Cross...

I'm working on memorizing the Gospel of John(yes, all of it) and i read some insightful commentary today that I thought I would post. I love commentaries...I wish I could afford to buy a bunch.

And I love David Crowder Band...

Anyways, let's see how much I can remember.

"In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the Word was God, the Word was in the beginning with God, all things were made through him, and without him was not anything made that was made."

That's all I could remember without looking. That's John 1-3.

And here's John 4 and 5...partly from memory.

"In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it."

I'm really excited about memorizing John. I think it will take a very long time, but the worth will be immeasurable. Just the idea that we can store God's Word in our hearts and take it everywhere is incredible.

Anyways, here's a little bit of commentary on this passage.

"The plainest reason why the Son of God is called the Word, seems to be, that as our words explain our minds to others, so was the Son of God sent in order to reveal his Father's mind to the world. What the evangelist says of Christ proves that he is God. He asserts, His existence in the beginning; His coexistence with the Father. The Word was with God. All things were made by him, and not as an instrument. Without him was not any thing made that was made, from the highest angel to

the meanest worm. This shows how well qualified he was for the work of our redemption and salvation. The light of reason, as well as the life of sense, is derived from him, and depends upon him. This eternal Word, this true Light shines, but the darkness comprehends it not. Let us pray without ceasing, that our eyes may be opened to behold this Light, that we may walk in it; and thus be made wise unto salvation, by faith in Jesus Christ. (Jn 1:6-14)"

This is something of a tangent, but last week I ordered some books from a company called Relevant, and they arrived a few days ago. I got David Crowder's new book, and a selection of Spurgeon sermons. The Spurgeon sermons are especially interesting to me. I had never read of his writing before, and actually, still haven't, but the introduction to the book gives the story of his life and that alone was inspiring. The way God worked through him was incredible. He was giving sermons to 10,000 when he was like 16, and he was leading one of the biggest churches in the world by the time he was my age. My age! Modern society always looks down on the young, but God will work through any willing and give them the power to do all he asks.

I'm looking forward to reading both books. I've always had a hard time getting into theological books, anything nonfiction (with a few exceptions) often seems very dry to me, but recently I realized this is because I don't read what really interests me, but try to get through books I find dry because people recommend them. I think a better place to start would be books I'm more interested in...like this little book of Spurgeon sermons, and this weird David Crowder book about death, and I don't know if I should admit this but I eat up books and articles about relationships and how to conduct oneself in them...I'm also really interested in C.J. Mahoney's...Mahaney...uh. C.J. The dude who leads Sovereign Grace. His books. He writes very little books. I'd like to read them.

If you're wondering who I find too dry, John Piper and Jerry Bridges are the first names that come to mind. I'm going to have to work my way up to their books. I know there's a lot of truth and wisdom in them, they're just really dense and somewhat hard to get through, but eventually, I want to get to where I can fly through nonfiction the same way I can fly through fiction.

Ha, my dog is having a dream under a nearby desk, and she's kicking the sides with her feet and wagging her tail...I think that's a signal I need to stop writing for awhile before this blog becomes excessively long. I'll post a poem later today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem with nonfiction books. I have such a hard time getting interested in them...especially if they are theology books. So far I have found CJ books to be some of my favorites, as well as the dude who wrote The Enemy Within. Never can remember his name.

Leuke said...

Those are definitely some books I'm interested in reading. Between Spurgeon and the Wizard of Earthsea, the fictional book I'm reading right now, I'm really happy bookwise...it works better for me to be reading two books at once...one fiction, one theological...