Thursday, May 19, 2011

Toes on the Diving Board

Sometimes I wonder if I'm going off the deep end.

Why is that you ask?? I thought you lost it a long time ago, you say??

My current work, Child of Thunder, just feels so... out there. It's about bears and deer at war with each other. Most folks would call that downright weird. It's a crazy story and it keeps getting crazier. The part I wrote last night for chapter ten came almost out of nowhere. It's so insane, in fact, that I'm going to have to rewrite a few earlier chapters to make it fit in. It's funny, I originally planned for Child of Thunder to be a children's book, but the resulting story that's poured out of me so far has been pretty unexpectedly dark, intense, and gory. Riley doesn't always feel or act like a thirteen year old boy either, does he?

What I wanted from this story is... complicated. Since I just wrote a romancey kind of story, I wanted to stay away from that. I wanted it to be a very boyish kind of book, like something a little kid would enjoy. In some ways, I think I achieved that. Kids don't always have a filter for violence. I've had little kids jokingly talk about smashing my head in and the like, so while I don't feel like my story is necessarily appropriate for kids anymore, it still sort of has that spirit to it. Only now that spirit is also inspired by and wrapped up in a story about a bloody revolution, a world in revolt against a cruel master.

So maybe I'm going off the deep end, but I think I've sunk too far to turn back now. I think this story is just begging to be finished, to be fully and properly told.

So I invite you to dive deep with me, and enjoy the insanity that is Child of Thunder.

No comments: