Saturday, May 21, 2011

New Poem

I wrote a new poem. It's kind of strange (like most of my poetry, honestly). I've been trying to remember where exactly I got the idea for it, and I can't. I know I wrote a rough draft sometime last week. Today I was thinking about it again, and I got a few more ideas, so I went ahead and typed it up. I think I'm going to try to write another soon...

"Lay Down on the Tracks"

They can call me crazy,
when I slip to the outskirts of town,
once I here that whistle blowing,
and the endless turn of those wheels,
but I have a test in mind,
and I'm tired, oh so tired

When I lay me down on that old iron rail,
will you be the one to stay beside me,
or are you gonna flee like all the rest,
when that steam engine comes roaring in,

I want to lay down on the tracks,
and watch that train come speeding in,
I want to leap from an airplane,
no parachute, no parachute, no parachute,
and watch the ground rush towards me,
like a runaway freight car

Oh please don't call it suicide,
I've no desire to die,
just to look old death in the face
prove my bravery,
and dart away at the last second,
unscathed
To know life unafraid.

But if you won't lay here beside me,
maybe you will never understand,
If you can't lay here beside me,
maybe you can never really live.

No comments: