Thursday, May 26, 2011

New New Poem

So I've been on a bit of a roll lately, poetically speaking. At least, I've been getting a whole lot of ideas! This one is about time travel. I decided the world doesn't have enough poetry about time travel, so I stepped in to take care of this terrible need. I got the initial ideas listening to a song called "The Clock" by Thom Yorke... and then I wrote it waiting to pick up my sister before softball.

"Paradox"

The ticking beats in my ear,
like mechanical heartbeats I feel it,
as I watch you from across the room.

Is it 1854?
Or perhaps 1902?
I can't remember anymore,
all the dates blur together
once you've lived them out of order

It was blinking red numbers yesterday,
gently shuffling hands today,
a tinny robot's voice two weeks gone
But a clock by any other name
is still a clock.

I thought I knew how to make the numbers obey,
thought I had all the time in the world,
but I've made a grave miscalculation,
haven't I?
and you,
you knew it from the start,
didn't you?

Can you stop me before I stop the bomb,
can you stop me before I stop you?
can I stop you before you stop me?
Can I stop me before its too late?

No comments: