Sunday, November 14, 2010

The White Dress

Second new poem. Guess I'm feeling kind of prolific tonight. This one is kind of a story. I got the inspiration a few days ago. I can't remember what from. It didn't turn out as well I'd hoped, but it isn't as bad as I'd feared it would be either.

"The White Dress"

Hesitation bears us away,
across an ocean wide and cold
lifeboats without pail or paddle
filling with seawater,
crashing to strange and foreign shores
Separated.

Wait wait wait,
but one can only wait so long,
till the years fly,
and fizzle like spent birthday candles
and in the back room, there's a white dress,
Maybe it waits the longest
Collecting dust on a lonely dressmaker's dummy

And in my closet, there's a pair of white shoes.
If I could only bring myself,
to scuff them up,
to drag them across the asphalt seas,
and turn them black as coal,
maybe I could ask the question
burning within,
but I let my shoes sit in my closet,
I let my words pile up in my brain
like unattended car wrecks
and I brave the storms of this world alone
in another land, on the other side of the world,
you quietly do the same,
and we wait.

But the most senseless thing of all,
to bury away my thoughts of you,
for I would rather go the distance
with no shoes at all,
and tear my feet
to a shredded mess
than live one more second
on the wrong side of the world.

No comments: