Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Red Truth

Another new poem. The idea for this one popped into my head kind of randomly while I was working on my book. I was working on the current plot in chapter 28, then somehow I got sidetracked into a story about a girl turning invisible because everyone ignores her, then got further sidetracked with random lines about finding a lost book abandoned in the back of a library. Maybe this doesn't literally happen with bibles very often, but figuratively, it happens all the time, doesn't it??

I was going to call it "The Answer" but I liked allusion to red as a counterpoint to my last poem.

"The Red Truth"

Every library has them in limitless supply,
pages and pages,
to offer me all the wisdom
of gathered minds,
pooled into pulp,
and trapped in inky black words

I searched book after book,
looking for answers,
asking all my questions,
but the words I sought were never found
and as the black words,
collapsed under their own weight
into black holes
I thought maybe the answer,
was silence
No answer at all.

But in the back room,
of the furthest library
on the back shelf,
thick with dust
and neglect
I found something different,
a book of red words
and red truth

I looked at books full of answers,
and found only questions,
but in the end
I found a book full of questions,
and now I have my answer.

No comments: