Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Bronze Arrow

New short story in rough draft form. Please post your thoughts.

"The Bronze Arrow"

I knew I couldn't hear it. Knew it was foolish to imagine I could hear it whistling through the air behind me, but I couldn't stop myself. It was a wild night as I rode over the open plain, the edge of a terrible rainstorm gliding on my heels. My horse snorting and galloping and the wind howling were the only noises to be heard, but still I couldn't stop myself from imagining I heard it. In the back of my mind, it was always there, in the distance, in the darkness, waiting for me to slow down.

I had been riding nonstop for hours, so when I came across an inn sitting forlornly on a hilltop, I eagerly took the opportunity for rest. My horse could scarcely stand another mile. I had tarried too long at the last city, and the consequences had nearly been dire.

The innkeeper had seen slow business these past moons, and all too eagerly took on the strangely dressed, long-haired man who walked into his building with perhaps a little too much urgency. The bar was almost empty, with only two patrons sitting at the counter, nursing half-empty beers. The innkeeper, a slight, bespectacled man, eyed my saber and bow a bit suspiciously, but I ignored his stare, wasting no time in ordering a hot bath and a pot of coffee. He, to his credit, wasted no time in complying.

No rest could last forever, not for a hunted man like me. Curses don't sleep, I can tell you that much. Within a few hours, I was laying in bed on top of the covers. I stared at the ceiling, wide awake. I'd ordered coffee because I knew trying to sleep was pointless. It was in the dead watches of the night that I stole out, making for the barn to saddle my horse. Whose name was Ginny, by the way. I'd paid for my time in advance, knowing this need would arise.

I couldn't help sighing as I left all comfort, warmth and light behind. Soon it would be another city, and another, and another.

That, or I would die.

There was only one other alternative. There was a distant mountain, far to the south, where I'd been told I might find an answer, and possibly a bit of refuge. As we galloped away from the inn, I knew I had to make a choice. I could keep running from my problems, or I could try to find a solution.

Gently steering my horse south, I made my decision.

---

The mountains lay scattered across the horizon like sleeping dragons, all gently sloping foothills that gave way to towering monoliths in the distance. The air here was thick with mist, a fog that was making it more and more difficult to see our way.

I let myself relax at the sight of the mountains, feeling a little closer to my goal. I slowed the pace ever so slightly, allowing Ginny to catch her breath a bit before the long hard road that was coming.

Breathing easier myself, I finally began to feel like I might actually survive this whole ordeal. It wasn't long before the hills began to rise all around me. The distant mountaintops were blocked from view, leaving me stranded in the mist. I was left with only the road to follow, as we plodded along at an ever slower pace.

As grassland gave way to ever rising walls of rock, I began to grow a little uneasy, wanting to be on my way. I tried to get a little more speed from poor Ginny, but she was too exhausted, so I settled for the meager pace we'd already been keeping.

"Well, well, gentlemen, what have we here?" A strange voice called from the stark whiteness. The words came across deadly quiet, yet perfectly audible. Almost as if the speaker were standing right beside me...

I barely had time to react. Within a few seconds of hearing the voice, I was on the ground, hurled away from my horse. A man had tackled me and tried to stab me with a knife, but I managed to deflect the blade and kill him. Another soon came scrambling out of the mist waving a hefty battle-ax. I drew my sword and took him down with an effortless strike to the chest, sidestepping the wild swing the bandit made as he fell.

I heard two more moving about in the rocks above our heads and, dropping my sword, I quickly pulled out my bow and took careful aim for where I heard the sounds coming from. Two bodies thudded to the earth.

I slid my bow back into its quiver and crouched, picking up my sword. I waited quietly, listening for any signs that might alert me to another attacker.

Silence.

I whistled for my horse and began to clean off my blade, heavy hearted. I hadn't wanted to ever kill again. A man who carries a blade is a man who considers peace after the fight is over. That's what my old master had taught me, a warrior himself, but one who considered a sword something to be taken up with great caution.

I'd had no choice, that's what I told myself. I'd been provoked. I found Ginny and returned to the trail easily enough. I left the bodies for the vultures. It would be pointless to have killed them to save myself only to forsake so much time that I died regardless. If I couldn't take back their deaths, I figured the least I could do was survive myself.

Perhaps for all the men I'd killed, it was the least I could do.

---

It was deep within a cave huddled underneath an enormous mountain heavily frosted with ice and snow that I finally found my destination. It was after two long, brutal days of wondering. I'd run out of food, and nearly lost my horse, but soon the two of us stood dripping wet within the entryway of a cavern that ran deep into darkness. I looked back and saw only blustering winds blowing flakes of snow onto the cavern.

The both of us shook the moisture from our bodies, glad to have found some shelter at last. How did I know this was the right place? It simply had to be. We'd found no other caves in all our time here, and I'd been promised a cave. A man who'd called himself a prophet had told me to come here. I'd found him in the market of the last city I'd visited. He'd worn a simple brown robe and looked all but homeless, but his words had been full of wisdom, reminding me of my master.

If this wasn't it, I was going to die anyways, so it hardly mattered. I dismounted and lit a torch, leading Ginny inside. I was pleased to note some signs of life, however ancient in appearance. Paintings were scattered all over the walls, some of them quite ornate. Once I left the outside chill behind, I dropped my horse's reins, leaving her behind to further explore alone.

I soon found myself pursuing a light shining in the distance, near the heart of the mountain. I began to come across signs of life here and there, gnawed-upon animal bones, discarded clothing, crumbled up parchment. Once I neared the light, I stepped within someone's living quarters. There was a fireplace, a bed, a wood stove, some bookshelves and a desk, all centered around a threadbare rug of oriental origin.

There was also a great mirror hanging against the far wall, straight across from me. I'd come to the end of the cave, and the end of the road. The living space had two inhabitants. A sleeping bulldog lay on the rug, snoring gently.

And at the desk, a man. He was scribbling furiously at his parchment, writing something that must have been terribly important, for even as my torchlight entered the greater circle of light created by his fireplace, still he didn't turn.

But before I could open my mouth to announce myself, he spoke. Without turning to face me. "I know what you've come for, Tobias Devlin."

I was too shocked to speak. Before I could, he continued. "A heavy curse no doubt lays upon you. The bronze arrow seeks your heart. Answer me this, my boy, whom have ye killed?" He turned to look at me. An old man with a long beard and slender spectacles perched upon his nose.

I cleared my throat. "I have killed many men, good sir." I said very quietly.

"Yes...yes...as recent as two days hence, I suppose. What shall we do with such bloody hands?" He stood and began to walk towards me, visually inspecting me. His clothes were simple linen, like the marketplace prophet. "Yes...what shall we do indeed. Who taught you the way of the sword?"

"My old master, in my old village in forest lands far from here."

"Yes...yes...but who taught you to kill?"

"Uh...I cleared my thoat. "I joined the local militia...it was my lieutenant. He forced me to...to kill. To finish off the wounded on the battlefield, because he thought I was too weak. After that...I became a mercenary, and an assassin, and..." I stopped and lowered my head, tears welling in my eyes.

"How did you come under this curse?" He asked quietly, placing his fingers against my chin and tilting my head back up.

"This woman, I uh, killed her husband. She sent me a letter. Said she'd hired some sort of witch. Said the witch would launch an arrow, a cursed arrow made of bronze that would find me and kill me, no matter where I went. At first I didn't believe it, but then a friend, he told me I'd better run. He told me his brother had met the very same fate not three years ago. And so I ran. For three months I've been on the move, fearing this arrow coming to kill me. I've been afraid of perishing, and the punishment that awaits a man who's dealt so much killing."

The room was quiet after I finished my story. All I could hear was the crackle of the fireplace and the breathing of the dog slumbering near its hearth. Finally the old man spoke, his pale blue eyes looking into mine sadly.

"A tale of much pain you tell, as one who does not relish killing as much as some of his fellows. You love to live for excitement, but do not enjoy the taking of life. I can help you. I will. Come with me."

He led me to the mirror, which was nothing terribly fancy. Just a large, plain rectangle of glass. With one gnarled finger, he tapped it. At once our images vanished, replaced by what looked like the very picture of Eden itself. Lush grasses, tall trees heavy with fruit, a warm sunset glowing in the clouds. The mirror was a portal to some other place, a paradise.

I could even feel the warmth of it, smell the fragrances borne on a gentle breeze. I choked up, unable to speak for the beauty of it. It was home. It reminded me so much of the forest land where I'd been born.

"You who lost your home to fire and war, I'll send ye to a new home, I will. You've but to step through this mirror. But first, please, take your horse. I've nothing to feed such a beast with here. And this mangy bulldog, I'd like to be rid of him too. He does nothing but sleep most of the day anyways, lousy good-for-nothing rascal."

Within a few moments, I was ready. My horse was here, the lazy dog awoken. I didn't have words to articulate my thanks. A new home. I could hardly believe it. I made to lay my sword and my bow down against a wall of the cavern, wanting to leave them behind, but the man insisted I take them.

"Now, now. You'll need such tools for hunting, I would imagine. You'd best get moving, son. I reckon your time is drawing short."

I took his hand and shook it, trying to express my gratitude. "I...don't know how to thank you..." I began.

He stopped me. "No time for that, get going now. He gave Ginny a slap, urging her through the mirror. Within seconds she was standing in the deep green grass, grazing hungrily. The dog was next, chasing after some rodent with a loud bark.

Before I could say anything else, I found myself being pushed along next. "You...you're certain the bronze arrow won't be able to find me?" I asked as my own feet found the soil.

"Yes, yes. Quite certain. I'll take care of things there, son, on that you have my word. I have but one request...I want you to be a farmer. Till the land. That's your new lot in life. That sword is but the first blade in a plow, you understand?"

I nodded. I was wrapped in the wonder and excitement of a new world. All I could see of the cave was a small window. At first it had been the same size as the mirror on the other side but it was rapidly shrinking.

The last thing I saw of that other place was the bronze arrow, finally come to claim its target. The arrow swooped in with a deadly whistling and struck the old man clean through the heart, killing him instantly. I'd seen so much death in my life, and I'd never cried on the battlefield. I felt a single tear slide down my cheek, perhaps another indicator that I was a new man.

As the window vanished, I saw a little more of my new home. A few tiny cottages stood huddled together not half a mile away, evening lights twinkling in their windows. I called for my dog and horse, eager to meet these new neighbors.

For the first time in years, I felt hope in my heart. I didn't know who the man was, or how he'd learned so much about me, but I would not forget his sacrifice, nor the many whose lives I'd ended. But I did know I would live now with a greater purpose, as a warrior, a farmer and a man, and perhaps someday I would give up my own life to save another.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I really enjoy your writing style and especially enjoyed the setting for this short story. I like the parallel of the old man and his sacrifice, but I wanted to hear more about him at his death, more about the feelings of Tobias when he witnessed the death. It seemed cut short. My favorite part was the description of the new land, while I read, I wanted to be there. Great short story. Thanks for sharing.

Leuke said...

Ok, good to know. I'll look at maybe fixing that... Thanks for reading! I'm glad you liked it otherwise. :)