Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Pirate story sample 2

I'd never seen anything like it, and nor have you, I would wager. The whirlpool towered nearly a league above us, tall and narrow like the neck of a bottle. Foam swirled over our heads, dousing us all. Titanic waves carried us deep into the very heart of the ocean itself.

Perhaps, to correct myself, it was more like the drain on a bathtub, pulling us down with relentless strength. Out battered Knife's Shadow was listing terribly, caught in the thrall of the seas as it was. The sky was barely visible now, nothing more than a distant circle of blue.

To our port side, there was nothing but a wall of water, and to our starboard, open air. I'd lost no one yet, having managed to convince everyone to lash themselves down in some capacity, but I was still in fear that one or another of my men might be flung into the sea at any moment.

I looked from my place at the wheel out, into the center of the whirlpool. Nothing but churning water and darkness. My heart skipped a beat. Surely we were done for now, but I could not let the men lose heart. We would go down fighting every inch of the way.

And then I heard it, a sound now all too familiar.

The song of the kraken.

We were about to be attacked, here.

"READY THE CANNONS!" I roared.

No comments: