Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Pirate Story Sample 1

The scent of sea air was ever calling me, its luring song a siren I could never deny. No...the sea was more like a beacon, shining from a lighthouse. It would always guide me back to where I belonged, even in the darkest of times.

It had been a long journey for me to find this port. I arrived out of money, spending my last shilling to get here. The loud bustle of hundreds of sailors going about loading up supplies and unloading various foreign treasures filled the air.

I slipped between passersby and pushed my way through the vibrant throng, feeling like a minnow caught in a slipstream, already set in my destination. I had eyes only for one ship. The Knife's Shadow A great three-masted beauty that towered above its neighbors. Without more than a second's pause to take in the look of her, I charged right up the gangplank, shouldering my duffel and taking stock of her crew.

"Oy, what 'ave we 'ere?" A voice inquired. For all the busywork going on around her, the mood onboard was surprisingly placid. Hardly any of the ship's crew, which had to be well over thirty strong, was at work. Most were lounging, scattered about the ship, chattering about this or that. Only a few had even noticed my arrival.

The one who had called me out was of demure personality, a quiet man. He was dressed in the garb of a captain, but he wasn't looking or acting the part in much capacity. That much was clear by the motivation of his men.

"What you doin', just 'op aboard any ship ye please, eh? What's your business?"

"Well..." There was no gentle way to put this. Best to be blunt.

"First Mate Gibbs, I presume?" I reached out a hand. "I'm your new captain."

No comments: