Thursday, October 1, 2009

I suppose now is as good a time as any to give a brief update on my exploits in the world of fire service. I have been super busy lately, trying to get enough studying in, and working, plus normal stuff like church and sleep.

Basically, so far I have learned about...

-Bunker gear, all the equipment we have to wear on a call. I have to be able to put it on in less than a minute.

-SCBA. Self contained breathing apparatus. Basically a bottle of oxygen with a backpack a regulator. Also requires me to be ready to rock and roll in less than a minute.

-How to properly raise and place a ladder

-How to ventilate a building without killing myself

-How to deal with being blindfolded and out of air without panicking.

-How to tie knots and hoist tools

-Proper steps of fire attack, including setting up a hoseline, getting water from a hydrant, and advancing into a building to get to a fire


-Breaking down doors, getting past locks, knocking down walls, smashing in windows and various other means of forcible entry

-And lots more.

I've got a wee bit of new writing. Not going to promise anything, but sometime this month I'd like to post a little bit...chapter six hopefully in completed form, and a tidbit of a short story.

Laterz Llamaz.

3 comments:

MBA said...

"How to deal with being blindfolded and out of air without panicking."

did you have to practice that!?

Leuke said...

Yup! We have to be able to have our air cut off, and figure out what's wrong, if we can't fix it, what our best option is.

Today I went into a maze, and they were messing with our bottles, and we would have to either book it out the door or swap our bottle with another...or just find the problem and fix it. It's pretty intense.

MBA said...

Oh wow that does sound really intense! I can't imagine. Thats so cool though..