Tuesday, February 8, 2011

New poem

New poem. This one is admittedly a bit odd, but the meaning should be clear. In the usual style of my poetry, the first couple sections address the world, the last is about God (Actually... my last poem was the exact opposite). I've never really explained that before I guess. Let me know what you think.

"Untitled #8"

There's a whiteness hiding out,
slipping to the edges of my blurry vision,
I gave up on myself and lost it all,
now I can't tell,
nor remember,
the color of my eyes,
don't know blue from brown,
hazel or gray,
don't know myself anymore,
when I look in the mirror

But whatever the color,
I know one thing is true,
they're all black at the center,
our pupils open our world,
exposing us to the darkness,
rods and cones interlaced with deceit
the gray has slipped into my bones,
now I can't tell,
can't recall the sight of you,
the color of your eyes,
blue like the sky perhaps,
or green as the ocean,
but black at the center,
That I know.

bloodshot and red, my eyes slip closed
shut tight against all this world has to show me,
I can't embrace the colors here,
can't hold tight the thoughts
that run like rivers
back to the sea,
but with my eyes shut tight,
I can see the whiteness,
the light that's been waiting for me,
the light that shines from eyes,
that will never look away.

No comments: